We’ll understand step-by-step how to run a .NET Core console application on Ubuntu:
Step 1: Install .NET Core Runtime
- Open a terminal on your Ubuntu machine.
- Update the package list:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install dotnet-runtime-6.0
Step 2: Publish the Console Application
- Navigate to the directory where your .NET Core console application project is located.
- Run the following command to publish the application:
dotnet publish -c Release -o publish
This command compiles and packages your application into the
Step 3: Run the Published Console Application
- In the terminal, navigate to the
publisha directory within your project:
- List the contents of the directory to verify that your application files are present:
You should see the published files, including your console application’s DLL file.
- Run your console application:
YourConsoleApp.dll with the actual name of your published console application’s DLL file.
Your .NET Core console application should now run on Ubuntu. If your application has any specific dependencies or requires access to external resources, ensure that those are properly set up on the Ubuntu system.
Remember that you can also use systemd or other methods to run your console application as a background service or automatically start it on system boot if needed.